I realize having your teeth cleaned may not be your favorite thing in the world. However, there’s more good than bad when you stick to a schedule. Removing plaque and tartar regularly will help prevent disease and getting x-rays and exams helps reduce future time and cost at the office. Hygienists like me are here to help. In my last post, I talked about all of the negative thoughts us hygienists tend to have during the day. This time, I wanted to focus on the positive:
- They are on time. YES! Today is going to go smoothly!
- She came in and asked for a toothbrush. I appreciate that more than they know.
- He just had a birthday. I need to remember to tell him he looks great for his age.
- She actually used all of the prescription toothpaste she took home last time? That never happens.
- Did I remember to put deodorant on?
- I hope the doctor is running on time so we don’t have to wait long.
- We took X-rays and I don’t see any problems. Whew.
- I love when people laugh at my jokes.
- What a grimace. Hands are clutching the arm rests already. I haven’t even started. Take a breath. Go slow with this one. They are scared.
- He silenced his phone. He’s a keeper!
- I have gas. . . and I’m sitting with my butt just a few inches away from their face. Oh please God, help me!
- This person has the strongest lips known to man. I’m about to bust out laughing but I don’t want to embarrass them.
- Why do so many people think they have to lie to me about how they floss? I just want the truth so I can be helpful.
- I love getting those little chunks of tartar. It’s like search and destroy!
- How in the world is that tongue managing to cover all of the upper molars and my suction? I’m afraid they are going to drown.
- Can’t wait to show the doctor how much better she looks.
- I wish insurance would cover cleanings for everyone 3-4 times a year… it makes a huge difference.
- Should I tell her she has a cavity now? We were just having such a nice time.
- They just got a new crown. Yay. One more thing checked off the “to do” list.
- In and out in less that 45 minutes! Go team.
As you can see, the things I think about while spending my day as a hygienist are a direct result of how well my patients are doing. When everyone works together and takes an active role in the process, it’s mostly positive.
What are you thinking about while getting your teeth cleaned? Comment and join in the conversation!